Employees: > 60 / > 20 nationalities
Independent Research Institute (Limited Liability Company)
Our Vision is to be the leading research institute that combines the best of both worlds, academia and industry, seeding the biomedical innovations of the future.
By exploring new biology in major human disease areas, we enable our partners to take an active role in seeding biomedical innovations for the benefit of patients. By harnessing the brain power of the global scientific crowd and by bridging the gap between academia and industry, we provide solutions for the pharma industry’s biggest R&D challenges. Embedded in a world-class innovation ecosystem on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, we embrace diversity and are committed to empowering the next generation of top researchers, enabling them to advance their careers and to create impact for society.
Value Proposition and Services for Partners
- Novel open innovation model (Betz & Tidona 2015: Nature Biotechnology 33, pp. 20-21)
- Outsourcing of preclinical research in high-risk exploratory fields
- Cost-effective access to the best international academic research talents via BioMed X‘s Career Space
- Cross-pollination of international top talents via relocation to the open innovation lab facility on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, one of the strongest biomedical innovation hubs in Europe
- A collaborative working model, focused on clear deliverables and constant progress leveraging partners‘ expertise
- First right of the partner to acquire the generated intellectual property, data and materials for a pre-negotiated flat success fee at the end of the project term
- Definition of an ambitious R&D challenge which adds significant value to the partner‘s product development pipeline
- World-wide publication of the challenge and crowdsourcing of the best ideas and talents addres- sing the challenge (on average 100-200 project proposals from up to 80 countries per challenge)
- Selection and invitation of the 15 best candidates to a 5-day boot camp in Heidelberg for interdisciplinary team building, mentorship and conversion of outstanding ideas into well-designed project proposals
- Selection and relocation of 2–3 winning candidates for a 3–5 year fellowship at the BioMed X Institute to run the project
1,600 sqm laboratory and office space in the Heidelberg Technology Park on the life science campus of the University of Heidelberg Germany, surrounded by renowned research institutes such as German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT), European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Center for Molecular Biology (ZMBH), Heidelberg University Hospital with 44 specialized clinical departments, and approximately 100 large and small life science companies.
AION Labs was founded in Rehovot, Israel in 2021 as an alliance of AstraZeneca, Merck, Pfizer, Teva, Israel Biotech Fund and Amazon Web Services (AWS) to create and incubate innovative startup companies. The new venture creation process of AION Labs is built on the BioMed X innovation model and crowdsourcing platform. The BioMed X Institute serves as a strategic partner for the alliance.
Key Target Partners
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Biotech companies
- Dr. Gerhard Ries (Chairman)
- Fabian Engelhorn
- Dr. Bernhard Kirschbaum
Dr. Christian Tidona
- Short Bio
Christian Tidona is a biotech entrepreneur, business angel, and founder of the BioMed X Institute in Heidelberg, Germany. He studied molecular biology and received his doctoral degree in virology from the University of Heidelberg. Throughout his entire professional life, his focus was always to seed innovation at the interface between academia and industry. Christian is co-founder of BioRN, the cluster management organization at the center of one of the strongest biomedical innovation hubs in Europe, co-founder of the Heidelberg Institute for Stem Cell Technology and Experimental Medicine HI-STEM, member of the International Board of the Weizmann Institute of Science, and member of the Board of Directors of Yeda Research and Development, one of the world’s most renowned technology transfer organizations in Israel. Christian is married and father of two children.
Dr. Thomas Rückle
Senior Vice President Research
- Short Bio
Dr. Thomas Rückle studied Chemistry and Toxicology at the University of Ulm, Germany, where he received his PhD in Organic Chemistry in 1996. After two postdoctoral fellowships at the Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland and at the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, San Diego (CA), USA, he joined Serono International in Geneva (Switzerland). From 1998 to 2006 he led Research and Preclinical Programs in Autoimmune Diseases and Oncology. From 2007 onwards, Thomas held several global roles in Project Management and Translational Medicine of Neurodegenerative Diseases and Oncology. From 2012 to 2016 he was Director in Translational Medicine at Medicines for Malaria Venture, the world’s leading NGO in antimalarial R&D. Prior to BioMed X Institute, he spent 3 years as Chief Development Officer at GeNeuro, a clinical stage biotechnology company working in the field of autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases. Together with his teams, Thomas has brought over a dozen molecules from Research into clinical trials. He is principal or co-author of over 50 peer-reviewed scientific publications and co-inventor on 23 patents.
Vice President HR & Operations
- Short Bio
Yvonne has been at BioMed X since its foundation in 2013.
Being responsible for “almost everything except research” takes a strong passion for strategy and organization but above all for people and their needs. She sees her position as a great opportunity to help create a work environment that allows groundbreaking research and that her colleagues look forward to coming to every day.
Prior to her position as VP HR & Operations she was BioMed X’ Head of Operations until 2019 and Head of HR until Summer 2021.